Former Newcastle and Chelsea star Christian Atsu has finally been rescued from a destroyed building following an earthquake in Turkey.
Atsu, who was reportedly missing alongside Hatayspor sporting director Taner Savut, is injured but is now out of the building, the club’s vice president Mustafa Özat has confirmed.
Speaking to Radyo Gol, Ozat said: ‘Christian Atsu was taken out with injuries. Our sporting director, Taner Savut, is unfortunately still under the rubble.’
On Tuesday morning Atsu’s team-mate Kerim Alici, a close friend, also confirmed on Turkish TV that the player had been rescued alive. Up to 20,000 people have been killed and thousands more injured after the catastrophic earthquake that rocked Turkey and Syria overnight on Monday, flattening neighbourhoods while families were asleep.
Footage shared on social media by Ajansspor showed a rescue team in the village of Ekinci in the Ad?yaman District.
It is claimed in the video that voices of Atsu and sporting director Savut can be heard.
Turkish newspaper Hurriyet has detailed that there is an anxious wait to rescue Savut, the sporting director, with rescue teams navigating the rubble.
The Ghana Football Association said on Tuesday: ‘We’ve received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment. Let’s continue to pray for Christian.’
In response to the Tweet from the GFA, Newcastle said: ‘Welcome news. Our thoughts remain with Christian, his loved ones and all those affected by Monday’s devastating earthquakes.’
Atsu was in action on Sunday for Hatayspor, scoring a goal in the seventh minute of stoppage time in a 1-0 victory over Kasimpasa.
The post How Christian Atsu was rescued after his voice was heard under rubble of collapsed building appeared first on The Chronicle News Online.Read Full Story